- CDCHD1454CD £10.00Expected 25th September 2015
Birth Of Surf Vol.3
Newly compiled by the guys from Pipeline Magazine, “The Birth Of Surf Vol 3” follows the pattern of the earlier volumes in representing the influential pre-surf instrumental scene and then moving on through the genre’s prime years of 1963 and ‘64 with a selection of hits and rare gems.
Its 26 tracks includes rockin' contributions from influential acts such as Johnny & The Hurricanes, the genre-defining blast of Dick Dale on ‘The Victor’ and follow-up singles from hit makers the Chantays (‘Scotch High’s’), Astronauts (‘Surf Party’) and Pyramids (‘Pressure’), none of which appeared on their albums.
Alongside all of the big names and many hard-to-find recordings are no less than seven tracks appearing on CD for the first time. These include much sought-after rarities like ‘Bonzai’ by the Baymen, ‘Minor Chaos’ by the Treasures and ‘Static’ by the Velvetones plus a previously unreleased gem from The deFenders’ aptly titled ‘More Surf’.
The packaging includes a full colour illustrated booklet with authoritative track-by-track info in 5,000 words of text from Pipeline editor and North Sea Surf Radio DJ Alan Taylor.
“The Birth Of Surf Vol 3” is a match for its successful predecessors. It’s an exciting listen, an attractive purchase for the casual buyer and an essential acquisition for collectors.
1. Flaming Guitar - Billy Mure
2. Machine Gun - The Rip Tides
3. Sheba - Johnny & The Hurricanes
4. Lone Survivor - The Beachcombers
5. Boss - The Rumblers
6. Vesuvius - The Sentinals
7. Scotch High's - The Chantays
8. Moment Of Truth - The Original Surfaris
9. Failsafe - The New Dimensions
10. Bonzai - Baymen (No The)
11. Surf Party - The Astronauts
12. Bacardi - The Torquetts
13. The Force Of Gravity - The Genteels
14. Christina - The Charades Band
15. On The Run - The Rondels
16. The Victor - Dick Dale & The Del-Tones
17. The Marauder - Marrell's Marauders
18. Pressure - The Pyramids
19. Gear! - Dave Myers & The Surftones
20. Countdown - Buddy Lee & The Satellites
21. More Surf - The De-Fenders
22. Take 7 - The Novas
23. Minor Chaos - The Treasures
24. Static - The Velvetones
25. Heartbeat - The Avengers VI
26. Storm Surf - The Surfaris
Toujours Chic! More French Girl Singers Of The 1960s
Ian Levine's Solid Stax Sensation
Pied Piper ~ Follow Your Soul
Second Helpings ~ Sequels To The Songs That Left 'Em Hungry For More
Nick Cave Heard Them Here First
Sweet Things From The Ellie Greenwich & Jeff Barry Songbook